About two years ago, I wrote about moving to a Sandisk Sansa Fuze as my music player. I transitioned from a 40G, HDD-based iRiver to an 8G flash-based player, with an additional 32G supplied by a micro SD card, both running the rockbox open-source firmware.
Of course, my music collection has grown over the last few years and so I needed to find another solution. That solution is…
…another Sansa Fuze!
This was actually my interim solution, this time with 4G internal capacity (didn't matter too much) with another 32G microsd and a rubber band. It turns out that managing four storage devices (two SDs and two embedded storages) is a complete nightmare. However, as luck would have it, I learned that the new, larger capacity SDXC cards can be made to work in some SD readers, including the Sansa Fuze. At around this time, my original player started to malfunction and so,
…another Sansa Fuze, again!
It took three attempts to get a 64G microsd: the first was faulty or fake, the second never turned up. Third times a charm, and a third sansa fuze (to get 8G internal capacity) completes the story.
For the sansa fuze, to get a 64G microsd to work, one needs to change the partition type to 0x0c (W95 FAT32 (LBA)) and reformat with FAT32. (Interestingly that's actually hard to do for Windows users, as Win 7 refuses to offer FAT32 for flash devices over 32G in capacity by default).
I now have approximately 67.7G of storage on a single device and all my music in one place again (albeit two storage locations) which feels surprisingly good!